Monday, May 2, 2011

Thankful!

My oldest child may be moody and aloof sometimes but I am SOOO thankful for him and the young man he's become. His cousin (my ex husband's sister's kid...follow that??), who is 13 days younger than my son, was here for spring break this past week. At first, the boys did great but then something must have happened because Tyler began to hang out in his room and not so much with his cousin. This continued on for the rest of the week and was VERY evident yesterday when we were driving to drop his cousin off with their grandmother. Tyler put his headphones into his iPod and didn't speak to anyone for the drive. When we got home, I talked to Tyler and he shared what had happened. Apparently, his cousin enjoys partying (which Tyler has absolutely no tolerance for or understanding of) and was unable to 'refrain' for the week he was here because he brought some little...um...enhanced candy with him. Tyler was just really disappointed in his cousin and sad that he has "turned out like this".

Backstory: Tyler's cousin's biological father had a really rough time with drug addiction when the cousin was born and little and is no longer in the picture.

I am thankful that Tyler hasn't experimented but I worry that maybe one day he will and he'll go a bit overboard. I guess we wait and see...but for now, I am thrilled that my kid is so straight laced (even if it's a bit extreme).

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is something to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for you & him both. Drugs are something that kids now days experiement with & before they know it, they have been strongly addicted and quickly go down the wrong path. Sometimes it starts out innocent with alcohol and cigarettes, then spiral out of control before they can get a grip on it. Way to go TYLER I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies...I am SUPER thankful

    ReplyDelete